Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Toiling On

I'm working on a UFO...and the old hymn "Toiling On" came to mind.
This is going to be a summer weight quilt for my husband's 'man cave'.
It pretty much turned out as I planned. I found the pattern on google, but never could find the source. It was called Winding Vines I think. It's made from a hodge podge of fabrics that came from several different places. The points on the edge are fabric from one of my mother's shirts. I'm really glad to be able to incorporate things like that.
It's not large enough, I need to add at least 12 more inches all the way around, but I haven't decided exactly how I want to do that. After all that work, I certainly don't want to just throw a border around it. I'm thinking of seeing if my lqs has any of the rust color left, and making some more squares to go around it. I rather like that idea, but I don't want it to be too "busy" and I don't want to detract from the pattern. I have some of my husband's old shirts that I could make more points with. The color and pattern would blend in well with my mother's shirt fabric. I may do that. Decisions decisions!!

In any case I'm glad to have it to this stage.

3 comments:

  1. This is really, really nice! Now I would go with a plain border - for a man cave something woodsie in print to add to that great rust colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the size? Josh's gr-grandmother make lots of what she called couch quilts. Maybe it's about the right size for that. Whatever this pattern is called I REALLY like it. A lot! If I quilted this would be one I would do in lots of different color combinations. This one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think another chain around with the darker fabric would work well. Of course your husband's shirts to match your mother's already has great merit as well. It's coming along wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete