Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Two Down

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, SR finally got the new ceiling fan up and working. It's sooo much nicer than the standard spec house model.

And I finished painting the deck this afternoon. Of course, I had to clean off yet more bird poop. That little issue will be cleared up as soon as the roof is on.

Now, I've been thinking about the patio furniture I want to add. I have looked high and low for two of those retro round backed, metal bouncy type chairs. If I find them they are either, rusted out, already sold, or priced with Paris Hilton in mind. So, if I can't find some in the next month or so, I'll settle for some Adirondack type chairs. I won't be able to afford real wood, but I can probably swing the hard plastic kind. If you come across either of these at a reasonable price, please give me a buzz.

Now, on to the quilting........

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

B in the Middle

We have several projects that we are in the middle of. I didn't realize it until this morning...

The deck:

Pay no attention to the bird poop on the end. We bought deck paint yesterday and I am going to attempt the project this afternoon. We couldn't agree on a new light fixture for the outside because I refused to buy one of the old mason jar looking ones. SR's reasoning is that no one will see it. My reasoning is that I will see it.

The ceiling fan replacement:

Old, ugly thing. Has a bit of a art deco look to it and I just didn't love it. It wouldn't work, and we determined it was the fan and not the wiring. We bought a new one yesterday and so far, we haven't been able to get it to work either....

Then there is J's quilt:
I'm about half-way finished with the quilting part.

It's coming along and so far, no major snafus or wrinkles. There are some defects, but as my quilting mentor friend would say, "I am not an imperfect person." :) I just love that. I'm hoping to have the quilt finished by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quilt Sandwich

I was having trouble sandwiching the three layers together, but a wonderful quilting mentor suggested I tape the bottom to the floor for stability and it worked great. I had to move furniture out of the way to have a large enough space, but it was so much easier that way.

I didn't like all the light colored fabric on the two sides, so I cut most of it off, and added the square line down the side. I think it's going to look much nicer that way.
I've started quilting it, with suggestions from my mentor, and it's going along pretty well. I'm doing it on my old fashioned sewing machine, which is a little tricky, but taking my time and holding things steady is key. Periodically, I wind up having to go back and redo a spot because I didn't hold it tight enough and a tiny fold developed. I know it's not going to be perfect, but that's something  I can fix. Crooked lines... J will just have to like them.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Name Decor

For LeLe's first shower, Chelle had a banner with Little Man's name on it and owls on the end. LeLe wanted to use it in the nursery, and I already had a long frame that was collecting dust. Unfortunately, the letter and owls wouldn't all fit, so we improvised....

I reverse painted his name on the glass. Printed it out on the computer, taped it to the back and drew it out with a sharpie. Then turned it over and painted it with regular craft paint. It took several coats to make it solid. Then I took some fabric and hot glued it to the backing, and glued the owls in place. The frame was originally blue, and I painted it as well.   It turned out pretty nice for being free.

Still working on J's quilt. Having trouble "sandwiching" the top, fleece and bottom together, but got a good tip from a friend and I'll try that. I also decided I didn't like all the solid fabric on the sides, so I cut some of it off, and used leftover pieces to make a strip to go down the sides. No pic yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

So Far So Good

Here is block number six for J's quilt.

And....drum roll please........


The quilt top is finished.

No, it's not symmetrical. No, the blocks are not the same. But it's unique and I created it as I went. I would have liked to used something a little darker for the side panels, but went with what I had intead of purchasing more fabric.

Now, I think the hard part begins. Or another hard part begins. I have to find fabric to back it and I'm thinking a sheet will do. The demensions at this moment in time are 99x82, but that will change when I finish the edges. I just have to find the right color sheet. Then I have to figure out how to handle all the bulk on my sewing machine to quilt it. I sure hope it works, because if I have to give up and do it by hand, it's gonna take a very long time.