Monday, May 24, 2010

My Sunday Stash

SR and I found a new antique place in Sherwood and visited there yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.  Most of what they had was overpriced, but there was a huge stack of fabric samples which were .25 each. I bought 20, but could have bought more.

There were quite a few swatches that were unsuitable for a quilt, such as brocade and very thick upholstery grade fabric. I bought a few of those simply because I loved the patterns and they were just large enough to be the front of a decorative pillow. The rest I made sure were 100% cotton, so I could use them in a block  or rag quilt. I was really happy with my $5.00 purchase.

I was also on the lookout for a tray to go on the top of the plant stand I bought the other day. Most of them were in the $30 to $40 range, but I found this one for $18.

I agonized over spending that much money on a tray, but it was heavy  and looked to be just large enough to make a good top for the stand. I found a much less expensive one but it was rather thin and flimsy, so I decided to just go ahead and get this one.  

I layed it on top of the stand, just to get an idea of how it would look.

I'm still a little undecided, but gee whiz, I spent eighteen freaking dollars on the thing. I feel like I really need to use it. And I can't decide whether to repaint it or leave it as it is, and just touch up the brown boards underneath. I don't think they will show when we get it centered exactly, but you never know.

So guys, give me some input here. What are your thoughts?

Today we got to keep Little Man Win for several hours while his Mommy and Daddy took care of some business. He was a good boy and slept the whole time he wasn't taking a bottle or getting his diaper changed.

He really only fussed one time when his Grandpa tried to lay him down on the bed.

He made sure everyone understood how he felt about that! Hmm, acting like his mother again. *wink*

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Tree for K

K has been doing some redecorating in J's house, and they needed art to go over the couch in the living room. I offered to paint something, and we agreed on three canvases like this. I found it here. But it was featured on one of the blogs I regularly read. (Sorry, I don't remember which one)

So, K bought some large canvases and I went to town with them. Only I changed the colors to suit us.

After covering the canvas with a light aqua blue, I began drawing out the picture using a sketch I made as a guide.

I used watercolor pencils, so the lines would fade out and not show through any paint. I carried the design across the three canvases.

After solidly filling in the lines with dark brown, I began to highlight the limbs using a lighter brown, then adding shading with a brown and black mix. I used simple craft paint because the really good acrylic paint is just too darn expensive for my pocketbook.

When all the highlights and shades were just like I wanted, I coated all three surfaces with a mix of Modge Podge and water. I originally wanted to use a glaze, but the local Walmart didn't have any. (No surprise there.)
I wanted to age it a bit, so I added some brown paint to the mixture. Then began painting it around the edges like so.

Of course that wasn't the end of it, as I needed to dab it with a wet cloth to spread it and make is look like more than just paint on a canvas.

I worked my way out from the corner so it would fade as I went. It's a trial and error process and you have to work fast with the Modge Podge because it's more like Elmer's glue than glaze. It dries very quickly, but if you rub aggressively with a wet cloth before it sets up, you can remove any mistakes. As you can see, I made the corners a little darker than the rest.

I didn't have a spot to hang them on the wall for a good photo, but you get the idea.

I was a bit afraid I'd mess it up when I started the aging, but I said a little prayer and it turned out great! I pray a lot over my work, and it's always a great help to me. I wish I had a place in my house for something like this. But I'll enjoy seeing it when I go visit J.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sneak Preview

I've started a new quilt project....

On graph paper, I created what I believe will resemble a wisteria bush. I will be working with 3" squares and hopefully it will be obvious what it is.

My inspiration......

Wish me luck!

P.S. Here is a sneak preview (a little taste, if you will) of a project I'm doing for K and J.

I'll post more when completed.

Saturday, May 8, 2010


Due to the bundle of joy God has blessed us with, and all that goes with it, The Seam Rippers is on a short hiatus. There are posts on B_Lines if you haven't already visited there.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

I Did It!

I finally finished J's quilt. Hoo Rayy!

With it's crooked seams, a few tucks that shouldn't be there, and a little wacky corner, I still love it. I pumped a lot of love into that quilt.

And I don't think J will care about the lines or the corner. And since it's my first attempt at the real thing, I think a few little quirks are allowed.

I've decided if I make another quilt this large, I will hand quilt it. I did the whole thing on the regular sewing machine and it was quite a task.  I think I could have done a better job of it by hand. And I'm not going to give myself a time limit. I was determined to finish this before Little Man arrives.

Now I can clean up my sewing room and wait. Won't be long.