Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Summer Quilt Ready for Quilting

Over a year ago, I found this quilt pattern/picture online.
I saved it by its name, but failed to save where I found it. When I tried to find it again, I couldn't. I've searched and searched but can't find "Winding Vines-2" anywhere. I wanted to give the author credit, so if you know who created this design, please let me know!!

This is my rendition of Winding Vines-2.
Please overlook the millions of threads still attached, and the need for pressing. It wound up being 95x97 because I wanted to be able to pull it over pillows like a bedspread on a regular double bed. I couldn't get high enough up to get the entire quilt in the photo frame.
I took the advice of my friend Sharon and added the border of rust colored fabric first. She suggested something woodsy that would bring out the rust color. I added the other borders just to enlarge it.
I want it to be lightweight because it's going in my husband's "man cave", so I'm going to use flannel as batting. I may use it for just the backing without anything in between, but I will have to wait and see how heavy it is first. It weighs a ton folded up.

We are getting ready for a vacation to the beach, so I'll put it aside until we get back. Then I'll start the quilting process.  I'm both relieved and pleased that it's done and turned out pretty well.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! But, I bet it's heavy! Flannel is a great idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this came out just wonderful!! Yes, the plain flannel back with no batt will work super - if you went with batt and backing you wouldn't be able to lift it!! What a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful! I think the flannel is a great idea - have wanted to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete