I finally finished the quilt for my nephew who is an avid hunter. And not without some wailing and gnashing of teeth. I call it "Deer Crossing".
I fussy cut some of the larger square areas instead of making them four pieces, I made them one with the deer panel. I like how that worked out, but it took some figuring in my head and lots of note taking and reading to get them put together correctly.
In any case, I learned a valuable lesson and will try a different way of using a board next go round. And I won't hesitate to re pin it if I see it's not as smooth as I think it should be from the get go!!