Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lessons Learned from Deer Xings

I finally finished the quilt for my nephew who is an avid hunter. And not without some wailing and gnashing of teeth. I call it "Deer Crossing".
You see, I tried a new method of basting. I used a long board and rolled the layers up as tightly as possible, then unrolled a bit at a time and pinned. It was so much easier than kneeling on the floor but....the back was not tight enough. For the first half of the quilting process I could NOT get it smooth enough. There were so many tucks and puckers that I wound up having to take it apart and repin it. Even just laying it flat on the kitchen table yielded better results than the board.
I used the backing as binding as well and since it was so skewed, I had trouble with that as well. I decided to just tough it out and hope it all came out in the wash...literally. And much of it did. So, I can live with it.

I fussy cut some of the larger square areas instead of making them four pieces, I made them one with the deer panel. I like how that worked out, but it took some figuring in my head and lots of note taking and reading to get them put together correctly.

In any case, I learned a valuable lesson and will try a different way of using a board next go round. And I won't hesitate to re pin it if I see it's not as smooth as I think it should be from the get go!!

1 comment:

  1. The problem with the board method is that each layer has bulk to fold over, thus you don't get an even lay. I use a folding banquet table (walmart) and center backing then batt and then top and bast (thread or pin) that center portion. Then pull to the one side, smoothing all layers and pin that. Then pull it all the way to the other side, repeat. So I am basting in thirds (smaller quilts I do in half from center out. OR I can put my Mom's table with mine and do the whole top.

    ReplyDelete