Saturday, February 18, 2012

My First Love

Oh Painting...how I've missed you.... *smooch!*

I've been a painting walls lately. My bedroom and bathroom walls to be exact, and that's not what I'm talking about here.  Before I sewed, before I quilted, I painted. It was and still is my first love. I just don't have much time for it these days.

This is what I worked on today.
It's a box my grandfather made for me years and years ago. It's not out of really good lumber, just what he had on hand, but it's solid and made with love. I don't remember exactly what precipitated this box building, but I think I made a comment about needing a magazine holder or something like that.
My grandfather was known to keep everything he ever owned, and bringing home anything he found. He might have invented the term "dumpster diving" but there were no dumpsters in the country where he lived. So, we would have to say he "gravel pit swimming"  or maybe "garbage pile poaching".. what a man! He once built a storage house made completely from discarded shower doors and tin. He was a genius and family folks just laughed at him. My family and I still get a kick out of mentioning it and he's been in heaven since 1997.

I stained the box at first. After all, everything else in my house at that time was stained wood. Ugh. How dreary was that? And after all these years, I decided to paint it to match my bedroom wall color. Wanna know where I got my inspiration? Bet you'll never guess...well that is unless you are a collector of Puffs Plus boxes. Yep. That's right. A box of kleenex. They have some awesome designs and I plan to use a few more designs as inspiration for some wall art.  Until then...
...I'll enjoy my little water themed box that holds all kinds of neat things. Paper, notebooks, extra Bibles and other sundry items. This little trip back to my first love has awakened a heartfelt desire to paint more. Wish me luck!!

Linking up with Rock 'N Share at the Shady Porch and Minutes for Me at Crafty Sewing & Quilting.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful work. Love those colors - and I buy my puffs with regards to the pretty on the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. Nothing wrong with a puffs box! Served two purposes..inspiration and happy noses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! i love kleenex boxes. lele almost got me some for christmas one year :-)

    ReplyDelete