Wednesday, June 29, 2011

3rd and Paint

 3rd

I finally finished the third NICU quilt. I started it before the last one, and didn't have the supplies to finish it, but had supplies to finish the 4th one.


It's a printed panel fabric, and I chose it because I thought it would be simpler and quicker. Funny how it took longer than the others to finally get it all together.


Instead of using a separate binding, I just wrapped the backing around to the front. That part was easier than regular binding.


And it was a quilt as you go thing. I had to separate some of the panels, because I didn't like some of them. That is why the backing is not a solid piece. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though.

Paint

My mother-in-law gave me an antique frame quite some time ago. She's been waiting for me to put something in it. She watches David Bromstadt sometimes and saw how he just slaps the paint on a board and it comes out unbelievable. She keeps telling me "You can do that!" I don't know about that, but I did give it a good try.

First I just framed some fabric wrapped around a thin piece of luan board, but it really needed something more, and she was expecting paint. So, I took a 1/4 inch plywood board SR cut for me and painted on it.

Notice the little bird in the tree?

I've painted a lot of triptychs lately with trees, and decided I wanted a tree.  I used Modge Podge and brown paint to age it some and then SR helped me secure it to the luan with screws from the back.


At first I really wanted the blue to be a lot darker than the fabric, but after getting it all together, I'm liking that it's just about the same hue.  All in all, I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out, and I'm sure my mother-in-law will be too. (She was already excited that I'd put the fabric in it.)

4 comments:

  1. i think the painting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the painting of the tree and little bird! You should be very pleased! It is great!

    Great quilt as you go quilt too!

    Thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt looks soooo gooood, Belinda! I so wish I had the patience to quilt!

    The painting is pretty too. Love that little bird on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is so cool that you make nicu quilts! That is a wonderful thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete