Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tree Skirt Finally Done



I've been working on a tree skirt for Christmas for about 3 weeks. There was no rush, so I took my time and enjoyed the creating of it. I used fabric my mother gave me, (again!) and made my own patterns for the leaves, berries and chickadee birds.

Initially, it wasn't as large as I wanted, so I decided to add the blanket binding to the bottom. That was pretty expensive, considering it cost $5.00, but since everything else was free, I finally broke down and bought it. I doubt I could have found a custom tree skirt for $5.00, even after Christmas.

Close up of birds.



I zig-zagged all the appliques and it made me really wish I had a sewing machine with more embroidery settings. The machine I have was bought before LeLe was born. It's been a hum-dinger, and is till going strong after all these years. The cabinet that houses it, is beginning to look a little worse for wear though. I have to keep it covered up it is so distressed, and it's not solid wood, so I can't refinish it and spruce it up any.

I think most of you already know that I collect chickadees. Yes, they are traditionally Christmas birds, but I love them all year long. They are just easier to find in December. I've never had a nice tree skirt, and am anxious to place it around my tree this year. I have a couple of plans for more Christmas items before I put my tree up. One is a quilted (maybe) wall hanging that I will try to fashion with a pocket on the back. That way I can just slip it over a picture already hanging. The other is a Christmas stocking for little doodle bug that's on the way.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, "doodle bug" is what Peggy's mom used to call Maburn. And then everyone shortened it to "Dude."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree skirt looks great! Maybe I'll tackle that after Christmas...that way I have a whole year to prepare.

    Awwww doodle bug

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I haven't been on here in a little while...you've been busy! Love the tree skirt! The hang over the picture thing sounds really interesting. I'd really like to see that when you get it done.

    ReplyDelete