Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oil and Water


Here is the finished redo of an old table. It's the first of many projects I mentioned in an earlier post.


The process was a bit aggravating, because of operator error, but I started out sanding and filling in cracks in the old lady.

It originally had a glass top, but when we bought it second hand, the glass was missing. My husband just put a piece of plywood in it and we used it that way for umpteen years. 

Next I primed it with just an average water based white primer. It had been in the garage for a while, and was a little globby, but seemed to smooth out as I worked. So far, so good.


Our local Walmart didn't have the color of paint I wanted without having to get it mixed, and that gets pricey, so I headed 30+ miles away to the nearest Home Depot. Found a lovely oil rubbed bronze color that I wanted to try. I didn't know if it would look right on a piece of furniture like this, but was willing to experiment.

Got home, set everything up and opened the can...I didn't pay attention bought the wrong type of paint! That's right, oil based. Grumble grumble. Well, let me see how this will play out. Can you use oil based over water based??

Stirred the paint and it was thick as MO-Lasses. I had a bit of paint thinner, and added that, but it really didn't help much. The more I painted, the thicker it got. It was labeled "Fast Drying" but it took a whole day and night to dry enough to see how it was going to look. I was wailing and pulling on my hair by this time. 
I seem to always have issues when I try to paint something. I just don't understand this!!

Next day, I checked on it, and other than smelling to high heaven, it looked better than I'd hoped. But it needed another coat. I had to run to the local wally world this time and get some mineral spirits. Poured it into a bowl with a bit of paint and the process was much easier.

I decided I wanted to high light the scroll work, so I took out a can of rusty brown spray paint, sprayed it on a rag, and dabbed it on the raised part. Hmmmm, that looks ok thinks me. Added a coat of what was supposed to be "satin" poly, and wound up with a shiney shiney thing. Oh well.

It's done, it looks nice, I like it and it will still hold up for another generation....I hope. :)

Before:


After:


Note and question: I edited the photos to rub out the cord to the lamp. Anyone have any good ideas for camouflaging an ugly cord where it's in plain sight?

4 comments:

  1. This table turned out amazing. Really great job and a testament to your efforts. I'm not going to be much use about the cord, you could make a fabric tube to cover it but that doesn't seem to match so the only other thought I had was that if you really hate the cord you could drill a hole in the table so the cord goes through the table not on top of it, but then you'd have a whole in the lovely finish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice table! No help here on the cord. If you do find a solution...please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the table! It looks brand new! As for the cords, I always use a bit of clear tape to run mine right along the sides of the table and legs, and down along the baseboard once it hits the floor. Yes, I'm OCD.

    ReplyDelete