Saturday, December 5, 2009

Deer Quilt

I finally finished the quilted wall hanging of the three reindeer. Yay!
















Am I satisfied with it? No. Is it perfectly square and even? No. But the only person I have to worry about is me. No one is going to go up to it and pick it apart.....well, no one that ever visits my home anyway.
















 I started out fusing fabric to Wonder Under and cutting all of the individual pieces out in preparation to attach them to the background fabric by pressing with an iron.

I then zig-zagged the edges to keep them from fraying. I learned about using an old quilt for the inside "stuffing" from another craft blogger, and used an old quilt my grandmother had years ago for that.
















It worked very well, and I even decided not to use any backing, to keep the bulk down and make it easier to quilt.
















Since I didn't have time before Christmas to get hand quilting done, and don't own a quilting machine, I just used a basting stitch on my regular sewing maching. It was tricky twisting and turning the entire thing around to get all the corners and curves done, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.
















When I finally had it all quilted, or as much as I was going to, I folded the seams under and sewed them. Then attached little loops to the top corners, to hang it on the frame already on the wall.

It took a little work to get it to hang just right, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. It adds just the right touch to my living room decorations.


2 comments:

  1. That's really cute! You did a good job on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! That is the best idea I've seen in a long time! I was curious to see how this would turn out and it's great!

    ReplyDelete