I was having trouble sandwiching the three layers together, but a wonderful quilting mentor suggested I tape the bottom to the floor for stability and it worked great. I had to move furniture out of the way to have a large enough space, but it was so much easier that way.
I didn't like all the light colored fabric on the two sides, so I cut most of it off, and added the square line down the side. I think it's going to look much nicer that way.
I've started quilting it, with suggestions from my mentor, and it's going along pretty well. I'm doing it on my old fashioned sewing machine, which is a little tricky, but taking my time and holding things steady is key. Periodically, I wind up having to go back and redo a spot because I didn't hold it tight enough and a tiny fold developed. I know it's not going to be perfect, but that's something I can fix. Crooked lines... J will just have to like them.