Saturday, March 22, 2014

A New Road

Life is changing around here. And it's all good.

My little desk redo sparked something in my life and I have begun traveling down a new road. My BQB  (Best Quilting Buddy) Jan and I are going to try our hand at renovating furniture and selling it. Oh, I know there are countless folks out there doing this, after all, there's nothing new under the sun. But we're going to give it a try anyway. And we agreed to a low stress, no pressure, enjoy ourselves type of outfit.

We started with these two pieces.

We attended a chalk paint demonstration the same day we found these two, and decided to try that type of paint first. It is marvelous to work with and gives everything a very smooth satiny finish. You aren't supposed to have to sand or prime but....we found out the hard way that we may need to do light sanding anyway.
This is the table after.
It turned out lovely in our opinion. The thing is, if I try I can scratch the paint off. And we just can't sell something that easily scratched. So guess who gets a lovely new green table? That would be ME!! Yay!!!
I went a different route with the bench, and used a spray paint+primer. I bought a gorgeous fabric to go with it and recovered and re-stuffed the cushion.
This one we will try to sell. And to do more research, I painted the bottom part of my entertainment cabinet. I haven't decided how to do the top yet, but at first thought about creating a stained effect. Now, I'm torn between that and just solid black.
After visiting flea markets and yard sales, I have a garage full of furniture to get to work on. This is something I've wanted to do for years, and finally God has allowed me to actually see if I can make it work. I'm very thankful!!

This does NOT mean I will no longer be quilting and sewing! I spent this afternoon finishing up the quilting on a tee shirt quilt and tomorrow I will bind it. I have several tops that need quilting, and little sewing projects I want to do, so I will work on them in the evenings and other odd times.

So, wish us luck my friends!! And as soon as we can figure out a name for our little business, we'll let you know. (Suggestions are welcome)

1 comment: