Saturday, November 20, 2010

Peppermint Christmas

As I stated in my last post, I fell in love with the peppermint tree at our local Christmas shop. I decided to try my hand at salt dough ornaments again. When the children were small, I did some, and they turned out pretty well, but they didn't stand the test of time.

This time I decided to do all I could to make them hardy enough to last a while.
I started with a basic salt dough recipe you can find easily online. And I rolled out the dough in strips for the candy canes, wrapping two around each other then shaping them into a cane. The others I rolled flat, and learned that I really need to poke little holes in the dough before cooking, so they will stay flat and not rise in the middle. I didn't think AP flour would do that, but I was wrong.


Here we have three candy canes, two wrapped peppermints and two peppermint snowmen. You can pretty much tell by the shapes. I inserted floral wire in the tops to hang them.  I baked them until they were hard as rocks. About 2 hours or more in a slow oven.

When they were cooled, I began the painting process. I have to say, I got a little worried when the plain acrylic craft paint made them smell as if they were not well done. But when the paint dried, all were fine. To make sure they last, I coated them with oil based polyurethane. It also made them super shiny.


I really enjoyed this crafting project, and will probably do a few more as soon as Thanksgiving is over. Not much time for crafting till then. I would like to make them larger, but fear the weight of them would bend the tree branches too much, not to mention the cooking time involved. I don't know  if the center would get done before the outside burned. I may give it a try though.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. There is LITERALLY nothing under heaven that you can not do! wow. You always amaze me, cuz! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gracious! I should've known yours would turn out looking professional! GORGEOUS! I LOVE THEM! I bet they look better than the ones at the Christmas store!

    Love the new blog design too! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much. That's sweet of you to say. LeLe deserves the kudos for the new blog design. She's talented that way.... :)

    ReplyDelete