Thursday, August 19, 2010

Desk Re-Do

One day when the husband and I were flea marketing in Jacksonville, I came across this desk.


I was in the market for one, to use as a sewing table. This one was good and solid, and was only $30.00, so it came home with us that day.  I knew I wanted to change it up in a big way, but had to mull it over in my mind for a couple of weeks. And the hardware definitely needed changing.


It must have been in a girl's room. And it was obviously a child's desk due to the height and all the writing in the drawers. *grin* The hubs would have liked me to strip it and stain it as he is a big fan of wood grain, and I have to admit, I have a love for it myself. But...just about every piece of furniture in my house is brown. I just realized that yesterday. (I'm going to have to do something about that)

I decided I wanted to paint it black. And so I did. Then I decided I wanted to do something creative to the drawer fronts, like I've seen on so many other blogs. This is what I wound up with....drum roll please.......


I am in love.  It turned out just like I'd hoped it would. My only problem was that the paint wanted to scratch off. So, it took several coats of paint, plus a spray sealer, which made it blotchy, and I painted one more coat over that. I adhered the fabric with modge podge. And I replaced the hardware with simple silver circles.


Before


After


Now, I need to figure out if there is anything in the house that I can paint....

12 comments:

  1. *gasp*
    i LOVE it! and you've just given me inspiration to do this
    exact
    same
    thing
    (in different colors)
    to my sewing table, which looks remarkably like a mirror image of yours.
    you win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!!! Gorgeous. Is there something in my house you can do that to? Maybe my dresser???

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeLe, sure baby. Whatever you want.

    Erin, I'm anxious to see what you do. Warning though... the fabric is a bit scratchy feeling, so I'm considering putting a coat of mat poly over it. There is fabric modge podge and that might make a difference. And be sure to use something to roll out all the air bubbles. I didn't and it's not as smooth as it could have been. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sa-WHEET! Love it!!!! Omgoodness. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY nice! Black is awesome! How do you think up this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see them on other blogs mostly. There's a great one called "Better After" and it gives me wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looove it so much! It turned out great! At which flea market did you find it? I might need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative! I love it, absolutely a world of difference!!

    We are having our first EVER linky party tomorrow! We'd LOVE if you'd stop by and share a recent fabric finish. Hope to see you :)

    We're following :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up, love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm getting a desk very similar to this that I'm going to repaint. I might also do the paper covered drawers. How to you get the paper cut just right?

    Lindsey
    found you through better after

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsey,
    If you are talking about the paper lined drawers, it's really sort of hit and miss. Any little imperfections won't show. If you are talking about substituting paper for the fabric I used on the outside, you might try using a paper cutter. If you don't have access to one, you could always use a rotary cutter and ruler, just as if you were cutting fabric. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me directly at b.lines58@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love! This desk is FABULOUS!! You've inspired me!
    Megs :)

    ReplyDelete