Saturday, February 13, 2010

First Quilt Attempt

Ok, I've begun trying to piece my first quilt. Here are the fabric pieces.


Since the quilt is for J, and he said his favorite color is dark green, I chose different shades of green.

Earlier, I posted a picture of a graph I colored in, trying to create a unique pattern. But, when I placed the pieces in that pattern, it didn't really move me. So I just experimented.



Of course, the last strip is missing because, well, I didn't realize I needed the sixth strip until I started sewing the strips together.







I didn't actually intend for the block to be framed in the darker color. But it works for me. I don't intend for the blocks to be the same though, so the next one will not be framed this way. I will just have to experiment and see what moves me. 

Without a rotary cutter and mat, it was difficult to get the squares exact, so they aren't all matching in the seams. But, I did the best I could with what I had and tried to align them as closely as possible, by snipping here and there.  Fortunately, SR gave me a rotary cutter for Valentine's Day. Now THAT ladies, is a great gift. Flowers fade, and candy makes me feel guilty, so that was the perfect idea. What a man! 

9 comments:

  1. That's going to look good. Nikki gave me a rotary cutter and mat for my birthday last year and I guess I need an instruction book because I'm still not getting straight cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it. i love that you're making your first quilt! and i *super duper* love that you got a rotary cutter as a valentine's gift. What a great man... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, are you using one of those clear rulers with the grid on it? That's the only way to get a straight line. And it still takes some work to get it straight. I don't have a mat, but am using an old piece of wood paneling until I can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! And you GO, Mr. SR....what a gift!!!! I'm loving that he got you that. That meant he LISTENED to you talk about what you needed or would like to have, most likely in passing. :D. Good job, SR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of Dad for even knowing where he could find the rotary cutter. I just bought one myself and one of the clear rulers. I don't plan on quilting yet but think it will help me with my fabric cutting since I have such a hard time getting stuff straight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How big is each square of fabric? (Looks like 16 squares in the center.) It took me a coulple of looks to see it was much smaller than I thought originally. The tray on the bed is what caught my attention to get some idea of the scale. Quilt is going to be cool! Looks like cool green forest colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each square is 5". The entire block is about 27" square. It will only take six of them, and I will add a little fabric to the ends, to make it the right size for a bed. That's the plan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you will make 6 blocks that are 27" square? I'm just wondering in case I ever get the notion to try it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Michelle, I didn't set out for them to be 27' square. I made all the little blocks 5" and after sewing them together with a 1/4" seam, the entire thing turned out to be that size. If I do another one, I may cut the little blocks smaller. Since this is for J, I wanted it big and manly looking. ;) I'm still learning the process and still don't have the lining fabric or the "in between" or "connecting" fabric to put it all together. But there's no hurry. I'm really enjoying the process though, and I didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete