Saturday, November 17, 2012

Challenging November BOM

As badly as I hate to admit it, I'm not as good as I'd like to be when it comes to piecing blocks. I've done ok so far, simply because I draw it all out on graph paper to my own specifications. That has been good for me, allowing me to slip into quilting and gain a little confidence.

This really challenged that confidence.
I learned the hard way that the seam allowances must be absolutely exact or it just doesn't work. This is supposed to be a 12 1/2" square, but it's a hair over that. I would use my trusty seam ripper to take it apart and try again, but I wound up doing the smaller leaf block 3 times. So, I decided it would do. I had an issue with having enough on the edges to square it up without losing the 1/4" on the edge.

My friend Janice did the same pattern and hers turned out exactly right. Even though she's new at piecing, she has a natural talent for it.
Her colors are so vibrant. She is good at picking out fabrics that work well together and give it a unique look.

So, this is our first BOM and we are trying to decide on one for December. We already have the first three months of 2013 chosen. It's sure a lot of fun and not as much pressure when it's just the two of us. I'm not ready for a blogworld BOM thing. Maybe someday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm horrid at piecing. I just did a BOM block today and in one spot my seams were off by over 1/4"! Ack! So I do a lot of machine applique quilts instead lol. Or I say "whatever I'm not perfect" and ignore it. The only time my piecing comes out semi-okay is if it's paper pieced. So you are not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Y'all are speaking Greek to me, but your blocks are bee-u-tee-ful!

    ReplyDelete