I've been trying to figure out how to quilt inside the wide spaces of the Irish Chain. After discussing it with LeLe, I decided on leaf shapes.
You can't really see it well on the top side, because the thread is such a neutral color, it blends into the fabric.
This was the plan in the beginning, and I like it that way. It hides mistakes.
The reasoning behind the leaf pattern is threefold. One, it would hard (for me anyway) to quilt in a really straight line across barren wilderness such as a large block. So, I decided against a square, or an X across the entire block. The second reason is because this quilt is for SR and he is a tree person. The woods are his favorite place to be on earth.
I absolutely love the way the back is looking, and that is the third reason. I wanted the back to look pretty too. Not just a back on a pretty quilt top.
It's taking me a long time to get this quilt finished, but it's because I have several other irons in the fire. One being a suit/romper for LMW to wear to J and K's wedding. Stay tuned, and I will post any progress as it happens.