Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Screen Play

This pie safe is one I remember being on my grandparents' back porch when I was a child. It was in pretty bad shape, painted an awful pinkish gray, and crammed full of odds and ends my grandfather might need some day.


It went to my mother sometime around my grandmother's passing, and my father took it, and refurbished it. He stripped it, shored it up with pieces of lumber and trim, and refinished it adding the new screen. It's a good solid piece of furniture, even with all the dings and scratches from years of being in my mother's kitchen. It came to me after her passing.


I needed a pantry, and the pie safe seemed to be the perfect solution. But, as you can see, the foodstuffs inside were not very attractive.


I decided to add fabric to the openings, but couldn't decide what fabric to use. I have a huge stash now, since I got the bulk of what Mom had, but just couldn't decide until.....


I loved this at first sight, but knew it wouldn't work for quilts or clothing. It might have made some nice pillows, but there really wasn't enough of it, and frankly, I was afraid the wear and tear on it would be hard to prevent. It seemed the perfect solution to my problem.

I measured and cut, measured and cut, and used my trusty staple gun to attach it to the inside of the cabinet.


Now I am totally in love with it! And if I ever decide to change the fabric, all it will take is a flat head screw driver and a small pair of pliers to remove it.


   Before                                                 After

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I meant to comment on it this morning but got sidetracked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have an old pie safe with chicken wire on the doors and was thinking of putting fabric and using it as a pantry. Thanks for the inspiration...might do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It looks wonderful! Good choice on the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete