Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Working On Christmas

My friend Jan and I have started a tradition of making a Christmas themed quilt every year.  Together we decide what pattern and then choose our fabrics separately.  This year we decided on a log cabin and I really enjoyed the simplicity of the block.  It's easy, but has so many possibilities!  Normally, the center is red, to symbolize home, but I chose a light center with one side red and the other green.
I experimented with layouts, and wound up with this one. It was the popular choice of my friends. I love how it turned out and even my husband loves it.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money in the making of it, so I used all I could from my stash. I'm extremely low on Christmasy fabrics now!!! I didn't have enough of any one fabric for the backing, so I improvised.
I also did a veriation of QAYG. I quilted it in strips and then joined them. It was a lot easier and I will probably do a lot more of that in the future. 

Since I finished it, I've been seriously considering another one this year. I may not have time to finish it by December 25th, but I may start on it. I have an idea for a neutral colored quilt involving some machine embroidered bits....stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it!! Log cabin is so classic and such a fun block to play with layouts. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete