Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mama's Got a Brand New Bag

I finally made time to make myself a purse/bag, whatever you call the thing you carry your life around in. I was surprised at how easy it was because I was expecting wailing and gnashing of teeth before it was over. I found a pattern online, and printed it out, but misplaced it, so I found essentially the same pattern at Walmart for less than $1.00 and purchased it.
It's made from Jason Yenter's Paradise fabric line, and something I picked up somewhere else. I've been saving the Paradise for while, just for something special. I like how the teal straps and lining bring out the teal in the daisies.
The pattern didn't call for a lining, but I made one anyway. It called for a 12" zipper, but that seemed too short, so next time I'll use a longer one. I had to do a little additional work to get it to fit just right, but nothing wail worthy.
Next time I'll also make the straps a little wider. Even with fusible webbing they seem a bit insubstantial. All in all, I'm happy with it. So, now I have to find the perfect pocketbook pattern to make. I want something that will hold my phone and my billfold but be small enough to fit inside. That way I can take it out and run inside a store without taking my "suitcase" with me. *grin*

4 comments:

  1. Great looking bag!! I love the fabric! You're so right about the teal playing well with the main fabric. As you know, I just finished a bag. There was some gnashing of teeth involved, and I would definitely choose a different pattern next time. Hopefully. it will be a few years before I need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job on the bag - and an inset zip no less. Beautiful fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you put your mind to it you could sew up a Buick! Love this and the colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these fabrics - such beautiful colors! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete