Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Stack 'N Whack

At the encouragement of my BQB Jan, I tried the Stack 'n Whack method of cutting fabric to make a kaleidoscope effect. But instead of layering 8  pieces, I only layered 4 and just cut squares. It was a good way to get my feet wet and besides, I don't have one of those fancy long triangular rulers anyway.

This is the result.
I was determined to use only what I had on hand in my stash, and had to do a lot of digging when I ran out of some of it. I think I did ok though and I even have backing and batting to use, so I'm a happy girl.
This is the fabric I started with.
And here are some of the blocks before sashing.
The whole block only ended up being 5" but with this fabric I decided the smaller blocks looked more dramatic. Here is a larger block.
See how you really can't see any cool kaleidoscope pattern?
Much cooler.
I didn't intend to get this far on it, but once I started, I just kept going and decided this would be a NICU quilt.
It was nice to sit down and just sew for a while. I never realized how much it relaxes me. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is what they call a 4-patch posy block. I think you did a lovely job and super that it all came from stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So striking - and I always love it when I can use my stash. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete