Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Domesticity

Here are some things I did over the weekend that have been unusually domestic for yours truly:

  • Set up my sewing machine (finally!)
    Last weekend, I decided to clear out some of the stuff in the back bedroom. It had basically been turned in to a junk room where we put all of the stuff we have no place for. I finally got tired of not being able to walk through it, so I started throwing out things and consolidating boxes. I cleared off some of the junk on a little dressing table that is a family heirloom and Sunday, I decided to set up my sewing machine on that table. I got it all set up, threaded (I had forgotten how to do it and was glad the manual was in the box) and even sewed a little something but it turned out kind of bad. In my defense, I wasn't using a pattern, so I didn't cut the fabric even, which made the stitches not parallel. Oh, well, it wasn't too bad for being the first time to sew in 15 years!

    Then yesterday while I was at work, MK hooked up a TV for me in that room. We have this thing that mounts it to the wall, so it is to the right of my sewing table. The antenna isn't hooked up yet, but I can still watch DVDs whenever I'm sewing or doing a craft project. I'm glad that room is slowly becoming useful.

    Here are some projects I'd like to do eventually (I'm ambitious)
    -Square-Bottomed Canvas Bucket (to hold living room junk/clutter)
    -Hip Mama Diaper Bag (to give as baby shower gifts)
    -Coffee Cozy (to give as miscellaneous gifts or for myself)
    -Camera Cozy (for gifts)
    -Beautiful Tote Bag (for myself)
  • Made shrimp dip
    I was looking through recipe books trying to find some light summer meals since I haven't had much of an appetite lately (this is a good thing!) when I came across a shrimp dip recipe. It looked easy and I decided to try it so we'd have something to snack on. I will list the recipe if you are interested:

    Shrimp Dip
    4-1/2 oz. can tiny shrimp, drained and rinsed
    8 0z package of cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup of sour cream
    1 package dry Italian dressing
    2 tbsp lemon juice

    All you do is mix all the ingredients together. I suggest you make sure the cream cheese is very soft because when I made mine, the cream cheese was very hard to mix with the other ingredients and it basically pulverized my shrimp. You might want to mix everything minus the shrimp together and then add the shrimp at the end. Chill in the fridge for 3 hours before serving. Serve with crackers or pita chips. Enjoy!

  • Played nurse (sorta)
    Well, I thought I had some others but I guess that was it. On a different note, MK has sciatica. We are treating it with anti-inflammatories and arthritis pain medication. It seems to be helping and I read that it will most likely go away in 2-3 weeks.

Hooray for creativity and domesticity!!!

5 comments:

  1. I am SO trying that dip!!! What type of sewing machine do yo have? I've been looking at them, (well, I've looked for YEARS, but I'm being serious about it now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Brother. Not sure which model but I think it has about 16 or so different stitch settings. It's similar to this one: http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=LX3125. May even be the same one except mine has a design on the top where the stitch settings are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Beans!! Glad you were pleasantly occupied over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your project ideas. I've made some bags/purses before, and the zipper always trips me up. Seriously infuriating! But, the tote or the living room clutter is sooo easy...you can do it in less than an hour, I bet! Walmart in Sheridan has a great selection of fabrics on the $1 shelf! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to leave the sewing to you; that's not my thing! I remember getting a C on my dress from Ms. Sadler because I forgot to completely sew the sleeve to the body of the dress. (I kept feeling a draft on the day we had to wear the dresses, and I realized that it was because I had a huge, gaping hole in the sleeve!) Regardless, I'm glad that you've found a cool hobby that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete