Sunday, November 28, 2010

Christmas Candy Ornament


In keeping with my new obsession, I've made another peppermint candy ornament. This one was much less time consuming and much easier. It was also larger so it will show up on the tree very well.

You will need:

White tissue paper
Peppermint striped scrapbook paper
Thin red  and white ribbon
Glue
Scissors
Styrofoam disks




First, you will cut your tissue paper into a rectangle that will cover the disk,
(I used two layers of tissue paper.) Then, cut your scrapbook paper in the size of your disk.




 Fold one short side of your tissue paper over the center of the disk and glue.







Then fold the other side over and glue.







Pinch and twist the ends to resemble the ends of the actual candy.





Tie red ribbon around the twisted parts to hold them, then glue the scrapbook paper to the disk, making sure to add a white ribbon loop to the back for hanging. You could use fabric as well as paper and you could print out a picture of an actual peppermint candy disk to use. The stripes here aren't exactly what one looks like, but it works well enough.



And Wha Lah VOILA!! You have larger peppermint candies on the tree.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Peppermint Christmas

As I stated in my last post, I fell in love with the peppermint tree at our local Christmas shop. I decided to try my hand at salt dough ornaments again. When the children were small, I did some, and they turned out pretty well, but they didn't stand the test of time.

This time I decided to do all I could to make them hardy enough to last a while.
I started with a basic salt dough recipe you can find easily online. And I rolled out the dough in strips for the candy canes, wrapping two around each other then shaping them into a cane. The others I rolled flat, and learned that I really need to poke little holes in the dough before cooking, so they will stay flat and not rise in the middle. I didn't think AP flour would do that, but I was wrong.


Here we have three candy canes, two wrapped peppermints and two peppermint snowmen. You can pretty much tell by the shapes. I inserted floral wire in the tops to hang them.  I baked them until they were hard as rocks. About 2 hours or more in a slow oven.

When they were cooled, I began the painting process. I have to say, I got a little worried when the plain acrylic craft paint made them smell as if they were not well done. But when the paint dried, all were fine. To make sure they last, I coated them with oil based polyurethane. It also made them super shiny.


I really enjoyed this crafting project, and will probably do a few more as soon as Thanksgiving is over. Not much time for crafting till then. I would like to make them larger, but fear the weight of them would bend the tree branches too much, not to mention the cooking time involved. I don't know  if the center would get done before the outside burned. I may give it a try though.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

No Projects to Post

Right now, I don't have any project pictures to post. Most of what I'm working on is for Christmas and we wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag, now would we?

I do have to say that yesterday LeLe, my future daughter-in-law K, and I went to a Christmas shop in town. OH. MY. WORD. We were drooling more than LMW when we left that place. And it got my creative juices flowing fully. I want to make everything in there. Problems 1: the local Walmart has NOTHING to use. Problem 2: Some of the items we saw, I just don't know how in the world I could make them. So, I have to do some figuring and thinking. And probably take a trip to Hobby Lobby for supplies and inspiration. Gee, I just hate that.... :D


This place has a different Christmas tree everywhere you look. Green ones, pink ones, teal ones, white ones, harlequin ones, peppermint ones....I can't even
list all they had.

K liked the peacock tree,



LeLe liked the owl and harlequin tree,











and I liked the peppermint tree. 




It will really be challenging to figure out if I can actually make anything comparable to the ornaments on those trees. And the cost of the ribbons and fru fru things would be astronomical. So, this will probably be a very long process. But, I always need a goal....

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fabric Tuesday

 

It's time for Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story!!! I actually have something new to add there. Run on over and take a look at all the cool fabric creations!

Friday, November 5, 2010

And One More

The white long sleeved onesies came in a package of three...so here's the third one.






I used the same technique as the yellow shirt. I'm really digging the color too.





I can hardly believe these shirts were 6-12 month, and they fit! He's getting too big. I can't stand it.

Two New Shirts

LMW is outgrowing all his clothes, so Nanna bought him some new ones. I also bought three white long sleeved onesies to decorate. Can't resist doing that.

The first one I did was a simple tie dye job. As you can see, he's pretty pumped about it.


The second one was a bit more involved. I filled a spray bottle with water and acrylic craft paint, and sprayed the shirt. I like the way it is darker in spots and lighter in others. But I couldn't  let it go at just that....so I added some fall leaves.






I spent a little time adding some detail on the leaves, simply by stitching a regular running stitch on the sewing machine. I'm happy with how it turned out.