Friday, September 25, 2009

One Project Completed

So, here is the first of many projects accomplished. Going to be working on others as the weeks of LeLe's pregnancy progress.



I used scrapbook paper to cut out the design, and a shadowbox frame. I added details with a black sharpie, and used a regular glue stick and hot glue. Using some thin foam, I was able to stack the layers to give it a 3-D effect.

For some reason, my camera just wouldn't take a good shot of it, maybe because of the reflection issues. Still, I'm pleased with it and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Projects and Purchases

This week, I've made some purchases on my way toward a couple of projects I have in mind. The fabric here, will be magically (or not so magically) transformed into an owl and a pussycat pillow. Patterns I found on the web.

You can find the patterns here, and here.

The shadow box frame and scrapbook paper will become a lovely 3-D scene I found online as well. That is if I can get it to work like I believe it should.



And as I couldn't help myself, I also purchased a crib sheet. Not transforming that into anything, but just couldn't resist. It's the polkadot square in the top left corner of this photo.



Maybe that will keep me occupied for the time being. And it will keep me from badgering the daughter for more information and ideas.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Tapestry Bag

My Mother-in-Law saw the last bag I created for myself, and expressed a desire to have one for herself. I at once started thinking about how I could make it better and sturdier. She is the best MIL in the entire world, and never asks for anything, so I was determined to give her something nice.

I made a trip to Hot Springs to start my search for the perfect fabric. I visited Hancock's (way too pricey) and Hobby Lobby (a little less, but still to pricey) I wound up at a place called Material World (just right) Did anyone else just get a vision of blonde hair and chairs? The fabric was a neutral color and thick enough to hold up to a lot of wear and tear. It also had a backing of some kind of stiff webbing so I thought it would be perfect. I feared it would be hard to sew with that backing and the thickness of the material, but I was pleasantly surprised. If I took it slow and easy, the needle didn't have any problem at all, even with multiple layers.

I have been disappointed in the way my first bag's handles went 'limp' so I decided to make the handles much thicker. I used two layers of fabric, sewed them together, then folded them in half. I left the ends one layer, to attach to the bag. It was a daunting task to work with so many layers of a thick fabric, but I am happy with the way it turned out.

The selvage was frayed and seamed like the perfect trim, without the added expense and sewing, so I used that at the top of the pockets. I added a pocket of the tapestry fabric on the inside of the purse as well, and it shows up better in this photo.

Here you can see the selvage edge a bit better.

MIL needed something she could carry her Bible and choir book in, and thought this size was perfect. I hope the pockets are handy for her and I know she will oooh and ahhh over it, because that's just the kind of person she is.

I'd like to have one for myself now, but will take a break from the heavy sewing to do something a bit easier. I have some pillow patterns I found on the web, that will be perfect for the new grand baby's room.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blue Paisley Bag

Here is the finished product of my pattern duplication. There are little imperfections that I know now how to avoid.





I separated the front pockets into two instead of the original three. And added pockets on the inside as well.



The lining is out of regular duckcloth but the pockets are of the printed fabric. I sewed the lining a little different than the outside, to keep bulk out of the side of the bottom. The outside is folded up and stitched forming flat bottom. But in the lining, I stitched across the bottom corners, and cut it away to create a smoother, less bulky bottom.

And of course, I couldn't stop until I personalized it with a little scroll work and initials.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Duplicating patterns

I've been a little behind on my projects. After spending the weekend helping son paint in his house, and spending a day recouperating from that, I am hoping to get back on track.

I have a new canvas bag cut out and waiting to be put together. I also started making copies of patterns LeLe has. This way, we can share them and not tear them to pieces. The patterns you purchase are so delicate, and I'm using stiff wrapping paper to duplicate them. I will also scan the sewing instructions. It's a great way to save money.

This pattern I created by looking at and measuring the bag I painted earlier. As you can see, I wrote myself lots of instructions on the pattern. As soon as I get it put together, I will post a picture and let you know how successful I was.